On January 25, 2013, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) published the HIPAA Omnibus Final Rule. The Final Rule represents a material development in the area of health care privacy and has important operational consequences for covered entities and business associates. Major changes include the following:
- Final Rule Requires Changes in Breach Notice Policies; Likely to Increase Breach Reporting.
- Significant Impact on Business Associates; Business Associate Agreements Need to Be Revised.
- Security Rule Changes Will Impact Forms, Policies, and Procedures.
- Numerous Privacy Rule Changes Will Impact Operations, Forms, Policies, and Procedures.
- Enhanced Enforcement
- Six months Compliance Deadline for Implementing Most Changes.
Total Course Duration: 1 hour
Number of Total Slides: 61 slides
Online course login expires in: 2 months from receiving the login details. You will not have access to online content after you complete the course.
Certificate valid for: 3 Years
Type of License: One user license cannot be transferred after login is assigned.
The HIPAA Omnibus Rule Training includes:
- Omnibus Rule Background
- Breach Notification Rule
- Risk of Harm
- Risk Assessment
- The Burden of Proof
- New Limits on Uses and Disclosures of PHI
- Fundraising Activities
- Research Activities
- Student Immunization Records
- Sale of PHI
- Genetic Information
- Business Associates
- Business Associate: definition
- Rules for the BA’s
- The BA Contract
- Contracting Arrangements
- Increased Patient Rights
- Electronic Copy of PHI
- Out-of-Pocket Payments
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Content Requirements
- Notice Distribution
- Increased Enforcement
- Focus on Willful Neglect
- Other Enforcement Changes
- Update Action Considerations
Certificate for Continuing Education Credits:
Students can buy a CE credits certificate for this course at the time of registration. You will receive one CE credit for this course through the Approved Provider of California Board of Registered Nursing after completing the course.